Since yesterday’s workout focused on upper body, today was all about the lower body. I had initially planned a longer workout, but since my knee injury flared up (and I actually fatigued my muscles), I shortened it. Don’t want to overtrain.
4:30 warm-up to Rihanna’s “Don’t Stop the Music” – example moves: marching in place, step-touch, knee lifts
Using 8-lb. dumbbells:
- 3 sets of 12 reps – dumbbell front squats
- 3 sets of 12 reps – sumo knee lifts (no weights used)
- 2 sets of 12 reps per leg – alternating dumbbell lunges
- 2 sets of 12 reps – dumbbell deadlifts
Total workout time: 16 minutes (includes 2 minutes of stretching at end)
Nothing’s better than free! Ever since the new library opened in town, I’ve been scouring the magazine archives for back copies of Oxygen Magazine. They have great free-weight workout plans. Can we say ‘mass xeroxing’? :)
Today’s WOD is from Oxygen’s Best Body Workout Schedule in the February 2011 issue. Focus is on chest, shoulders, and triceps (I added in a couple of bicep exercises for good measure).
Used 8-lb. dumbbells, 20-30 seconds rest between sets, do all 3 sets before moving on to next exercise.
- Stability ball bench press – 3 sets of 12 reps
- Stability ball chest flye – 3 sets of 12 reps
- Standing dumbbell press – 3 sets of 12 reps
- Stability ball bent-over flye – 3 sets of 12 reps
- One-arm overhead triceps extension – 3 sets of 12 reps per arm
- Modified push-up – 3 sets of 6 reps
- Seated hammer curl – 3 sets of 12 reps
- Standing upright row – 3 sets of 12 reps
Total workout time: 30 minutes
• The 5 Biggest Fitness Mistakes (via Yahoo! Health)
• I bet your oatmeal doesn’t look this good (via Oh She Glows)
• Magdalena ‘Booty Lift’ workout video (via FitLife TV)
• Laugh along as pro golfer Ben Crane works out (via OneMileOneMeal)
• ‘Move Your Body’ to Beyonce’s new flash workout video (via YouTube) – Download the mp3 and learn the moves here.
Okay, this one’s a doozie! I’m not going to lie… I had trouble getting through a couple of sections, especially when it came to the second and third sets. It’s one of those workouts where you have to dig deep and power through to the end. I’m certainly feeling the soreness today – abs to thighs! If you try this one, let me know how you did. :)
Jamie Eason’s No Fail Plyo Routine
30 seconds per exercise, 1-minute rest after finishing entire set. Do 3 sets total.
• Mountain climbers
• Bicycle crunches
• Flutterkicks (a.k.a. scissor kicks)
• High knees
Total workout time: 20 minutes (includes 3 min warm-up)